[Sca-cooks] standard tests

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 14:43:33 PDT 2001

I don't agree with the idea that we must be on one side or the other
of a dichotomy. What follows is going to sound like boasting, but
since we are discussing the idea that we are either
arty-literary-intuitive or scientific-mathematical-logical...

My high school chemistry teacher thought i ought to be a scientist,
as i was the most methodological and meticulous student in her
classes. At the same time my high school art teacher gave me the keys
to the art studio so i could work on projects after hours.

I was in the chorus, and had lead roles in the school musicals my jr.
and sr. years. In my jr. year, i showed my Analytical Algebra teacher
another shorter way to solve a problem than the way she was teaching.

I scored about the same on my SAT's in both English and Math - in the
mid-700's on each, back in the 1960's - i hear the tests are easier
now.

I was an excellent swimmer. Other than that, i was never particularly
good at sports, but have since discovered that it was mostly mental.
My mother had ingrained in me the idea that i was going to get hurt,
so i'd pull back at the last minute from any ball coming towards me
in any sport.

I discovered that i was not completely uncoordinated when, in
college, i, an anthropology/art history major, got B's in
non-Euro-American dance classes (Japanese, Javanese, Balinese,
Ghanaian) while the dance majors were getting C's.

And i am LEFT handed! And proud of it.

Anahita