[Sca-cooks] Re: standard tests

margali 1margali at 99main.com
Tue Jun 12 17:30:30 PDT 2001

I lucked out and managed to retrain myself before I got to school
[I was reading at 3, the typical age in our family on both
sides.] I was never stuck into a special class, just the opposite
- I ended up tutoring french and spanish and doing demos for the
chem and bio classes. I got a great extra credit for biology by
removing the brain, spinal cord, and cranio-facial nerves from a
pig in toto. It is still pickled in formaldehyde in the science
department. After 2 weeks in the process, I was getting really
tired of looking at pigs! For graduation for my brother that
year, what did my parents do? They hired a caterer to come in and
do a pig BBQ starring an 80 lb whole pig. I left to go see Grease
and pissed off my parents ;-)  [I figured out a way to mention
food - happy dance ;-)  ]

I have noticed a nasty tendancy towards aphasia lately - and am
wondering if it is somehow linked with the dyslexia.
margali
~~~~~the quote starts here:
As a fellow dyslexic I feel for you. Back in the late forties -
early
fifties when I was in school we were just classified as stupid.
Lord how
tired I got of being told that. In an article in the readers
Digest many
years latter I found my self going "I know how that feels" after
reading the
description of dyslexia. I managed to get a BS in accounting, but
work as a
programmer and am rapidly approaching retirement so I'm not some
dumb after
all, although I sometimes can't express myself well. Margarite