[Sca-cooks] Which is which?

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 14 07:10:57 PDT 2001

Semolina is the refined flour product of durum wheat, most commonly used to
make pasta.  It has a high protein/gluten content, which makes it best for
holding together while being boiled in water.
Polenta is better known in these parts as grits, or coarse-ground corn
(maize).  It can also refer to the cooked dish of corn grits.  Polenta can
be made with other grains, but most modern recipes are talking about corn.
We have just recently discussed my lord's aversion to the word Polenta, and
the fact that in period recipes it is a wheat product.
If I were substituting (although semolina flour is available in most grocery
stores), I would try to find a hard winter wheat flour such as one of the
Southern brands, Martha White or White Lily.  (Hard winter wheat is grown in
the South, which leads to big, fluffy biscuits - see the Florilegium for
discussion on flour types and how these affect baking.)
Whatcha makin?
Christianna