[Sca-cooks] Which is which?

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Thu Jun 14 09:08:45 PDT 2001

Misha asked:
> Is Semolina and Polenta the same thing or byproducts of something? And if I
> have a recipe calling for semolina, can I use polenta? Thanks!

Quite two different items. Semolina is a type of wheat. Polenta is
a dish made of grain, which could be semolina.

For some more details on both of these items, take a look at these
files in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
grains-msg        (41K) 11/14/00    Medieval grains. Recipes. Cooking.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/grains-msg.html

polenta-msg       (15K)  5/ 8/01    Period polenta. Wheat and maize
polenta.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/polenta-msg.html

This file may also have some similar info:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/flour-msg.html

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net