[Sca-cooks] food in season and how to cook it

Bethra Spicewell christina_elisabeth at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 06:19:45 PDT 2001

Greetings

  It's still cool up here (at least it's supposed to be), so there
isn't much coming up yet. My radishes are almost ready, but I'm not
sure if they're period. My lord eats them -not I- either right from the
garden, or with a little salt.  I didn't plant peas this year, but they
are coming into season.  My favorite method for eating them is to cook
them to *just* done (not crunchy, not mushy), add cream (milk if I have
to) and butter, a touch of s+p, and crumbled up biscuits. Sounds sort
of like a peri-oidish pea pottage. The only other things I've got ready
now are herbs.
 New strawberry bed, so no berries this year :-(   but I like the other
strawberry tarte - the one that uses eggs.  It's in the Miscellany

  A Tarte of Strawberries
- A Proper New Book- p 39/C11 -

"Take and strain them with the yolks of four eggs and a little white
bread grated, then season it up with sugar and sweet butter and so bake
it"
2 cups strawberries
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup sugar (maybe a little less)
4 Tablespoons melted butter
8 inch pie shell

Force strawberries through a strainer or run through a blender, then
mix with everything else.
Bake crust for 10 minutes, then put filling into the crust and bake at
375 degrees F (190C) for 20 minutes

Serve with lots of (OOP) whipped cream

I also make jam, when I have enough berries.  Is jam period ? When ?
It uses an awful lot of sugar, so I don't really know. Would something
like 'Polaner All-Fruit' be more approximately period?

Bethra

Christina Elisabeth de la Griffon Riant
Barony of Stonemarche  EK