[Sca-cooks] food in season and how to cook it

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 14 17:58:45 PDT 2001

On 14 Jun 01,, Bethra Spicewell wrote:

> My radishes are almost ready, but I'm not
> sure if they're period. My lord eats them -not I- either right from the
> garden, or with a little salt.

Yes, radishes are period.  The ancient medical authorities say that they are
best eaten at the end of the meal, for they help promote digestion.  Eaten in
excess, they are bad for the digestion, and harm the eyes and head.
Enrique de Villena gives instructions for carving them into slices, which he
suggests should be sprinkled with salt, for it draws out some of their
moisture.  Eating a radish is said to counteract the poison of a scorpion's
bite.

Brighid, who doesn't eat them either

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)