[Sca-cooks] Old?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Jun 15 06:46:56 PDT 2001

I don't have the debilitating disease you have, but I did have a similar kind
of experience.  A couple of years ago, a week before I was due to cook a
Coronation feast for 250, I was diagnosed with shingles...they had attached my
midriff area on on side from my center front to my center back.  In addition to
itching like h#@$, I really didn't feel well and tired out very easily.  I was
started on medication that helped the itching and fought the virus, but that
didn't really help the itching.  I found that my habit of trying to plan
everything 'way ahead really came in handy.  I had already done the redactions
and purchased most of the ingredients, the perishable ones being on order to
pick up the day before the event.  Having done all of that ahead of the event,
I relied on my friends, husband and proteges to see me through, which they did
very nicely.  It was not the problem it might have been because I had so much
done ahead of time (including having pre-cooked a lot of the food!

I had a similar problem when on chemotherapy and in the months that followed.
Again, I found that planning ahead, doing as much as I could ahead of time...as
I felt like it, and making sure that I had a good chair with a footstool where
I could sit down, relax and still keep an eye on the proceedings saw me
through.

Hope this helps...I'm sure your group really misses your ability to cook
feasts!

Kiri