[Sca-cooks] A question on Fish Sauce

XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com
Fri Jun 15 17:49:55 PDT 2001

In a message dated 6/15/01 8:47:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gleep001 at hotmail.com writes:

> I'm currently researching some Roman recipes (A friend has joined a new
>  local group of Roman Renactors & I'd like to devise a dinner for them)
>
>  I've found a number of recipes that call for "Fish Sauce" - would this be
>  the Garam (sp?) that I've heard about or is it similar to the Fish Sauces
>  available in Asian supermarkets?

Yep. Garum is fermented fish sauce. Used to cover meats and fish. Wish I had
my latin book so I could share the recipe. But I think its fish broth, herbs,
and probably some yeast. Then you let it ferment for a couple of days and
voila, garum.

Misha