sucralose/splenda (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Gyro? Hero?)

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 17 15:46:56 PDT 2001

Margali said:
> Yep, because the splenda is 'stretched' by using dextrose and
> maltodextrin to give it enough bulk to be more than a grain of
> salt ;-)

Ohh. I hadn't realized that. I wish they would use a different
sugar or something else to stretch it. Dextrose is one of the
fastest acting sugars and is one of the prime ones recommended
to treat insulin shock (low blood sugar). "Sweet Tarts" are recommended
for this, as they have a high proportion of dextrose. As a diabetic, I'd
prefer slower acting sugars.

> NaturesFlavors.com sells splenda sweetened flavoring syrups [like
> for shaved ice or making juleps] and at one time had a lightly
> vanilla flavored splenda liquid, stock numbered NF 2841. Maybe if
> enough of us ask for it, they will start doing it again!

Thank you, Margali! I just spend quite a while there (the website has
a number of errors) and bought about a dozen different syrups.

It's been years since I've been able to have snow cones.

I also bought a bottle of their unflavored syrup and the spearment
flavored one. I'm hoping that I can use these to make a passable
Sekanjabin. It would not be truely period, but there's just too
much sugar in the period recipes for me. Has anyone else tried
this? I'm not sure this stuff will act like a "syrup", but we will
see.

Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net