[Sca-cooks] Re: SC - Pantry Surprise, yet again

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jun 18 05:58:22 PDT 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I was going through yet another back digest from a while back (hey, I'm
> actually catching up on these) and saw:
>
> > Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:04:24 -0700
> > From: Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net>
> > Subject: Re: SC - Pantry Surprise, yet again
> >
> > >         OOOooooohhh!!! that is just so cool!!    Kinda like that tv host who
> > > invites himself over for supper at peoples' homes,  bringing his own chef.
> > > And you did this at another person's house!  Not like "scrounge nite" at my
> > > own residence.   (that usually involves what's in the fridge and minimal
> > > cooking)  Wanna come over to my house?
> > >
> > > Caointiarn
> >
> > That would be "Gordon Elliott's Door Knock Dinners."  O please god, send him to
> > a SCA house some day, preferably one from the SCA-Cooks' list... I wanna see
> > what he makes of our decor, as well as the kind of ingredients we have sitting
> > around.  Grains of Paradise, Galingale, half-a-freezerfull of duck carcasses
> > left from Twelfth Night...
> >
> > Selene, who watches 'way too much Food Network
>
> This was making me laugh and think "This would be funny. What wacky houses
> many SCA folks keep." Then I got to thinking. *I've* got Grains of
> Paradise and Galingale in the cabinet, and there is a whole, frozen
> duck sitting in my freezer from last Yule, when they were available in
> the grocery...
>
> And a recently bought bottle of mead and the dried fish and...

In my freezer I've got chestnuts that I ran out of time to roast, goose
wings (for the quills), deer legs and antlers for carving, and a whole
hide that hasn't been tanned yet. In the pantry are grains of paradise,
cubebs, saunders, galingale, four kinds of cassia and true cinnamon
(labelled cassia, cassia of cathay, canell, and then there's that bag of
Vietnamese cassia). And my spice jars are labelled in Caroline
miniscule. ;-)

Margaret