[Sca-cooks] Identifying mint

Pixel, Queen of Cats pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Mon Jun 18 06:09:13 PDT 2001

According to the mint in my garden, peppermint has smooth leaves (makes it
hard to tell which is peppermint and which is chocolate mint just by
looking), and spearmint has, well, bumply leaves. Not smooth, anyway, but
not ruffled, either, like the pineapple mint, which has lovely variegated
green and white ruffled leaves.

IIRC, the stuff they sell in my local grocery looks remarkably like
spearmint.

As long as you have a sunny window, you can grow mint. Mine is sequestered
in a patch of dirt that is surrounded on three sides by concrete and one
by the house. Also in this patch are raspberries, a questionable rosebush,
and catnip--I figure I'll let them all fight it out. ;-)

Margaret FitzWilliam