[Sca-cooks] re:gastronomica

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon Jun 18 12:10:44 PDT 2001

Gwyneth commented:
> I too received a free sample issue. One of the sample articles described the
> olla, a type of Spanish earthenware cooking pot, glazed on the inside. It was
> interesting, but when the author (Alicia Rios) invoked  bizarre imagery by
> comparing the pot's shape to a female's womb, I shuddred. Can a pot *be* just a
> pot?!!

I think I may have recieved a copy of this. I haven't had time to
unwrap and look at it yet, though.

Does this article mention the type of foods cooked in this "olla"?
I'm wondering if this is the source of the name for the Olla Podrida/
hollopotrida etc type dishes we talked about a while back?

For those wondering about this dish, here is the file which is in the
FOOD section of the Florilegium:
hollopotrida-msg  (25K) 10/18/00    Period holopotrida recipes. Stews
with a
                                       very wide variety of ingredients.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/hollapotrida-msg.html

Was this imagery simply a modern one? Or was this also used in period?

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net