[Sca-cooks] QED & pomys

tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de tgl at mailer.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jun 19 03:37:19 PDT 2001

> >   ich zimmere bei wege,
> >   des musz ich manegen meister han
> >   'I am working at the side of the road, [i.e. language]
> >    therefore many people tell me what I should do better ...'
> >    (roughly) [...]
> Are you familiar with the Yiddish word, "kibbitz"?  :-)

I is used in German, too, to refer not only to a certain bird, but also
to a person who looks at other people playing cards, chess, etc. and
telling them what to do or to do better. The activity is called
"kiebitzen" -- Translators also have many Kiebitze around ...

I believe that high esteem (of a dictionary, a work) & the need to put
forward criticism go well together. Criticism is the engine of progress.
There is no dictionary I know of that can be considered to be the "last
word".

<< I'll be happy, though, to point them to the relevant MS., and let
them draw their own conclusions. >>

Adamantius, could you please point me to the recipe with the "aforeseyd
pomys", too? Thank you.

Th.