[Sca-cooks] Okra was:Tiramisu

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 19 07:25:05 PDT 2001

Oh my.  Well, it's a green pod-like veggie, with a point on one end and
ridges down the length of the pod.  They usually run anywhere from about
an inch to six inches or so in length (the smaller ones are the
tenderest and best for eating).  The larger ones are good to dry and use
in floral arrangements!  They grow on a plant that has a stalk about 4
feet tall, when fully grown.  It has very fuzzy leaves that are fairly
large, about 6 inches across.  It's used extensively in southern
cooking, particularly that of New Orleans, where you'll find it in
gumbo.  As stated in an earlier post, my favorite way to eat it is
sliced crosswise, rolled in flour and fried.  If cooked too long (my
grandmother used to steam it on top of other veggies), it becomes very
slimey and, to my taste, unpalatable.

Kiri