[Sca-cooks] Southern California Chestnut resource?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 19 17:47:49 PDT 2001

>Where in southern California would you find chestnuts this time of year?
>Magnus Grehatta is doing a recipe for the Talanque Tourney this weekend
>that requires a chestnut paste, and we can't seem to find chestnuts.
>
>Surely there is an ethnic grocery or some little place that caters to
>little old ladies that would have such a thing!  So far the local British
>food shops have been scoured, the natural food shops, the weird food shops,
>and nobody has chestnuts. Water chesnuts they have aplenty, but not just
>plain old regular chestnuts!!
>
>Regards,
>Maggie MacD.

French. French. French.

Chestnut paste is used in the making of a dessert called a Mont
Blanc. There's a brand in a can - white with brown chestnuts and
green leaves on it - i think it's Clement Faugier. Look in the
gourmet aisle of a good supermarket or in a gourmet shop. Shouldn't
be that hard to find...

There's a picture of a can on the website in the other messages in
this thread. But i have found it in my local Safeway on the gourmet
aisle... well, i used to. Now i only set foot in the place to buy ice
before events these days. Can't take the canned advertisements they
pipe through the store constantly.

Anahita
BTW, where in SoCal are you?