OT falling off... (Was Re: [Sca-cooks] Medieval restaurant, a few more thoughts... (and an introduct...)

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Tue Jun 19 21:10:50 PDT 2001

>60' from a cliff?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Wow. And you did all this stuff after the
>fall or before? I'm amazed you can type. Christopher Reeves fell 5' from a
>horse and he's paralyzed for life and you fell 60'!!!! Wow. That deserves a
>round of applause.

ha!  well, I did that before I fell...  Round of applause?  naah.  Life
just goes on.  I still rock climb, I still sky dive, I'm still a scuba
diving instructor (though my licence is about to expire and I won't be
renewing it).  I'm planning on getting fitted with armour and try my hand
at being a heavy combat archer.  I'm nuts :-) (some tell me that's why i
fit in the SCA!!!)

A woman in my sky diving club (never met her) fell 8,000' with her main
chute ripping, and her secondary chute wrapping.  She landed on her back on
a recently plowed field, after two weeks of rain.  She got up and walked
away.  It's all how you fall.  They gave me my helmet back, it was in two
pieces...  Without it, I wouldn't be here today.  Chris was unluckier than
I, that's all.  I just happen to be paralyzed a little lower than he
is.  Mind you, a few vertebrae make a huge difference :-)  In the
disability community, we have a saying: "all quads want to be para, all
paras want to be AB's, and all AB's want to look like Barbie and/or Ken" :-)

"If you don't live on the edge, you're taking up too much space" :-)

Muiredach seòlta mac Loloig
aka
Nicolas Steenhout