[Sca-cooks] Re: Pennsic Class Notes

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 22 09:04:39 PDT 2001

Stefan wrote:

>I still would be willing to do something along these lines.
However, I
>can understand Alys' frustration over this, so I don't imagine
anything
>"official" will be done. Some class notes are too fragmented or
sparse
>to stand alone outside of the class they are written for. Some
subjects
>may already be covered sufficiently well in the Florilegium that
the
>class notes would add little new. But even discounting those, the
sheer
>quantity could overwhelm my abilities.

Stefan has listed a number of the reasons why class notes are hard
to post on a web site.  Another one we ran into the first year (out
of two) that we tried was that many of the "notes" contain sections
of already copyrighted works and _those_ people would have to be
contacted for permission as well.  Some of the notes used photos or
drawings as explanations, and these were copied out of already
published texts.  The _idea_ is wonderful, but the implimentation is
a "bear"!  As Stefan wondered, the sheer volume overwhelmed two folk
already.  Each item had to be inspected to see if it was in good
enough condition to scan (some were printed too lightly), if
copyrighted material was there, what would happen if the copyrighted
material were left out - would the notes still make sense- and so
on.  After three years of collecting notes, and two volunteers
saying that they could do it, I gave up and stopped collecting the
material.

Now... there might be a hybrid way around this.  Stefan, or some
other volunteer, could solicit handouts from particular instructors
or from instructors on a particular topic, have the instructor sign
the web permission form, and use it after Pennsic.  We already have
a permission form that was approved for use.  Any folk want to
become AS volunteers for handout collection??

Alys Katharine
PW 30 Class Coordinator