[Sca-cooks] beating egg whites

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri Jun 22 09:59:10 PDT 2001

Alban commented:
> Hey! No-one's mentioned using very, very clean and very, very dry
> copper bowls!

Argh. A "dry" bowl???

I rinsed out both mixing bowls as they'd been sitting on the shelf
for awhile. But since there was just a sprinkling of drops on the
bowls, I didn't bother drying the bowls off, since I didn't think
a few drops of water would make much differance.

I was using one stainless steel bowl and one thick plastic
(melamine?) bowl.

I also apparently did a few other things wrong. More in a later
message.

So, those who have made this "snow", how light and fluffy is
it supposed to get? Like meringue? Or fluffier, like a foam?
Or like a thick cream, which seems to be closer to what I've
got?

Unless I go to the store again, and get more "heavy" whipping
cream, we're going to have wafers and cream. Even if I do, I've
still got a bowl of the failed snow to use somehow. Although
licking the bowl was nice....

Thanks for the help, everyone. Some of this cooking stuff is
definitely an art and not a science.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net