[Sca-cooks] beating egg whites

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Fri Jun 22 09:20:26 PDT 2001

>Seriously - aren't copper bowls supposed to be better for whipping
>egg whites?

Well...

There is a lot of argumentation going on about that topic in the professional cooking world.  Some base it on chemical reaction, etc.

Personally, I think that while you may have a slight advantage, it really comes down to tradition.  Copper bowls were invented long before stainless bowls.  At the time, copper bowls were the best darn thing to whip whites (as opposed to earthenware or wood I guess).  The reputation of the copper bowl stuck.

I don't believe it's worth the expense (as mentionned previously), nor the amount of care you have to pay copper bowls.

Note, this is only my opinion :-)  And it has nothing to do with my opinion of copper pots and pans, lined with stainless (now, *those* I like, except that they are heavy...)

I really shouldn't be doing mail from work, you know? :-))

Muiredach