[Sca-cooks] beating egg whites

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 22 09:43:54 PDT 2001

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

> >Oh, Oh, Oh, 'E wants a copper bow-el, 'e does. "Pardon me, Mater, I'm
> >off to play the Grand Pi-ahhhhh-no! Pin a rose on me, for I'm to be
> >Queen of the May!"
> >
> >Stainless steel's not good enough for you, eh?
> Hey! If you want to do things right, you have to use the right tools!
> Would you use a children's rubber hammer to build the house
> you want to live in? Would you use a clown's itty-bitty car on
> the interstate? Would you use a Swiss Army knife to field-dress
> a deer?
>
> (Hey, waitaminnit. I know someone who actually did use a
> Swiss Army knife to field-dress. Oh, never mind. . . )
>
> Seriously - aren't copper bowls supposed to be better for whipping
> egg whites?

Yes, they are. There's some kind of electrostatic thing going on that is
supposed to provide a similar effect to things like the addition of
cream of tartar.

I'm just opposed to any tool that does only one, or very few, jobs, and
copper bowls seem to be used for custards, beaten egg yolks and/or
whites, and some candy work, whereas stainless steel mixing bowls can do
all of those things about as well, are cheaper, harder to abuse, and
don't contribute the same funky flavor if you overbeat, I prefer to
leave most copper bowl applications to those that like that sort of thing.

Adamantius the Non-effete
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com