[Sca-cooks] period date info?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 22 13:28:48 PDT 2001

margali wrote:

> Well, IIRC [Cariacoc, help?] The prohibition is agaist fermented
> grape, and some of the more heretical/less strict groups would
> make date wine.

That brings to mind a scene late in THE THIRTEENTH WARRIOR, where one of
the Viking types offers a horn of mead to the Arabian diplomat/warrior
played by Antonio Banderas.  He refuses politely, saying that his
religion forbids him to partake of fermentation of the grape or of the
grain.  Viking grins a wide grin, slaps him on the back and explains,
"it's honey!"  Whereupon Our Hero thinks for half a second, takes the
horn and slugs down that drink he's been needing for the past three
reels, or perhaps all his life.

Selene, who should write a monograph on Mead In Cinema...
selene at earthlink.net