[Sca-cooks] period date info?

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 22 20:11:14 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<< SNIP . . . I got an electronic copy of the King James Bible from a Project Gutenberg mirror.  A search for 'date' comes up with no hits.  Not one.  I was very surprised.  I wondered if maybe it was the text editor I was using, but several programs later, same result.

Seems that dates aren't mentioned at all.  I wonder if KJV literalists
eat dates? >>>>>

You will likely find that the King James be literarily valuable, but lacks any usefulness whatsoever as a research tool.  There are many better versions to use.  I recommend one of the commentary versions that include historical and cultural reference along with the translated texts.  Use KJV for serious research only as a last resort . . . . as it was not written by scholars necessarily as scholarly work, but by scribes seeking to please a King's Commission.  Not invalid, just not research material.

niccolo difrancesco
(Deway version ain't tops either  . . . )