[Sca-cooks] period date info?

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Fri Jun 22 22:25:42 PDT 2001

 The biggest problem with the KJV is that it is a translation of a
translation.  Since the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls, and other old
texts, there are much more accurate translations out there.  The KJV is best
known for its lyrical feel but is inadequate as a tool for a serious
scholar.

Raoghnailt
(my ex- is an Episcopal priest and I was there at seminary working in the
library -- where reading more than 1 language was a big help)

> You will likely find that the King James be literarily valuable, but lacks
any usefulness whatsoever as a research tool.  There are many better
versions to use.  I recommend one of the commentary versions that include
historical and cultural reference along with the translated texts.  Use KJV
for serious research only as a last resort . . . . as it was not written by
scholars necessarily as scholarly work, but by scribes seeking to please a
King's Commission.  Not invalid, just not research material.