[Sca-cooks] FW: [SD] Fwd: Quail eggs

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Sat Jun 23 15:13:50 PDT 2001

> > Was wondering if anyone knew of any period (or even
> > non-period) recipes
> > using quail eggs?

Non-period on my end...  You can do all kinds of things with quail eggs.  I
remember being one of the cooks for a 5000 people chinese vegetarian
banquets where one of the dish was garnished with quail eggs...  Hard
boiled, one per person on average, and I ended up peeling them!  <shrug>

I love to use poached quail eggs as garnish for tossed salads.  Using a
little raspberry vinegar and grapeseed oil for dressing, don't use Iceberg
lettuce.  If you can get your hands on mesclun mix (often sold at local
grovery stores), that works great.

Also, mixing quails, oven roasted or grilled, and poached or hard boiled
quail eggs in a dish works nicely.

I wouldn't use quail eggs in recipes where the egg gets mixed in to
something else.  They are best used when you can see them, as people like
them.  They are small, hence cute :-/

The idea is to have a blast, and experiment.  If you have a daily supply,
this should be easy.

The other thing you can do with eggs, if you have the proper setup
(including an incubator) is to get an unending supply of quails, which you
can then cook and consume.  My dad did that for a while, he eventually gave
up as it was too much work as a sideline on top of his angora goats farm
business.

Muiredach seòlta mac Loloig
aka
Nicolas Steenhout