[Sca-cooks] Italian fish in oil spreads

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jun 24 04:24:56 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Possibly, though Italian spreads traditionally
> > included fish in oil rather than fresh when served
> > with bread (I have evidence for this,
> > unfortunately, only for the 2nd and 18th century
> > CE, not for the sixteenth, but personal experience
> > strongly suggests it's better that way).
<snip>
> Does anyone have some period recipes for these Italian, fish in oil,
> spreads? Are these just mushed up fish in oil spread on bread? This
> sounds like it could be a wonderful alternative to the honey-butter
> and bread stuff.

Note that Giano said "included" fish in oil, not "were made from", etc.
I suspect what we're talking about is something like tapenade, which
does usually include both tuna either in brine or in oil, and anchovies
either salted and/or in oil, in addition to garlic (lots), pitted black
olives (essential), capers, fresh herbs, and perhaps a squeeze of orange juice.

Now all we have to do is document such a product as a spread ;  ) .

Adamantius, who has seen tapenade used in many ways, but only rarely as
a spread
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com