[Sca-cooks] Italian fish in oil spreads

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 25 06:27:11 PDT 2001

Actually, there is an olive spread (sans the fish) in "A Taste of Ancient Rome",
cited as Cato 119.  It was called "Epityrum" :

"Make green, black, or varicolored epityrum in this way. Pit the green, black, or
varicolored olives. Season them thus: Chop them, and add oil, vinegar, coriander,
cumin, fennel, rue, and mint. Put them in a small jar, with oil on top and they are
ready to use."

Other information in "A Taste of Rome" about this included:

"Greeks and Romans at this with cheese, whence the derivation of its name (epityrum
= over cheese). Varro (De lingua latina 7, 86) described it as a Greek recipe, and
Columella (12,49,9) suggested that the olives be seasoned with salt, lentiscus, rue
and fennel.

Kiri