[Sca-cooks] oop::: Zankou chicken

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Sun Jun 24 13:14:26 PDT 2001

Never heard of Zankou chicken, though that doesn't mean a thing :-)

Regarding creamy garlic sauces...  Simplicity is really often the only
thing called for.  Used to make a "Creme d'ail" (or garlic cream sauce) to
go with lamb, though it would be good with most stuff.

Throw in peeled garlic cloves in a pot, cover with heavy cream.  Bring to a
simmer, cook until the garlic can be mushed easily with a fork.  Mash the
garlic.  Strain through a "chinois", or mesh sieve (this can take some
time, and you have to really work the thing, lest you loose too much of the
stuff).  Add warm cream to reach the desired consistency.  Of course, a
little salt at the beggining helps a lot.  I also like to throw in a drop
or two of tabasco, not so much to spice it up as to bring out the natural
flavours.

You could avoid the straining step, though garlic tends to be fibrous, and
it really gives you a much nicer sauce if strained.

HTH

Muiredach seòlta mac Loloig
aka
Nicolas Steenhout