[Sca-cooks] Coulis (was: oop::: Zankou chicken)

Nicolas Steenhout vavroom at bmee.net
Mon Jun 25 16:01:39 PDT 2001

At 10:40 AM 6/25/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Sue Clemenger wrote:
> >
> > Master A, just what _is_ a "coulis?"

<SNIP>

>Sort of an essence, at least in modern usage. Coulis (not sure how to
>pluralize it) and in English in late and early post-period, cullises,
>seem to just be rich broths, thickened sometimes with eggs or almond
>milk; a really rich soup possibly intended for the sick or elderly.

Coulis in the plural form is also Coulis.  This word comes from the french
verb: "Couler", which has a few meanings, though in this case it means "to
pour".  So I guess that means that a coulis would pour easily.

In classical French cooking, coulis are *uncooked* pureed and strained
vegetables or fruits.  Yer not 'sposed to do anything else to them, like
add wine, sugar, salt, etc!  Usually, tomato, raspberry, strawberry.

Of course, with useage, it has changed a lot...  <sigh>  (This is an
entirely different topic, that might be worth discussing some day.  Namely,
that of using proper names for proper dishes. Do you really call a beef
stew with some red wine "Beef Bourguignon" if it really isn't "beef
Bourguignon"?  Or do you just let useage "bastardize" appelations, in what
could be considered evolution of language and culinary arts?)

Muiredach seòlta mac Loloig
aka
Nicolas Steenhout