[Sca-cooks] oop::: Zankou chicken

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 25 07:40:40 PDT 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Master A, just what _is_ a "coulis?"
> --maire
>
> Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> > <snippage>
>
> > Adamantius (whose local M.E. rotisserie chicken chains seem to serve
> > theirs with a fresh raw tomato coulis, and not bad, either)

Sort of an essence, at least in modern usage. Coulis (not sure how to
pluralize it) and in English in late and early post-period, cullises,
seem to just be rich broths, thickened sometimes with eggs or almond
milk; a really rich soup possibly intended for the sick or elderly.

More recent versions of coulis might be a highly reduced, rich consomme,
served plainly as a sauce, or any of a number of simple, strained
sauces, such as a lightly sweetened (or unsweetened) strained raspberry puree.

Coulis were very big in the 80's ;  ) . You will have seen it figuring
prominently on those big nouvelle cuisine plates with the teeny portions
of food on them...

The stuff made at whatever the h**l that chicken place on 85th and
Lexington is called, appears to me to be pureed, raw, very ripe tomato,
peeled and seeded, whizzed up in a food processor with perhaps some
parsley stems, salt and pepper, and just a hit of olive oil to kind of
hold it all together. It tastes more like fresh tomatoes than a cooked
sauce would.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy