[Sca-cooks] Need Reference info

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 25 16:53:24 PDT 2001

Neat idea! I think Kiri did something like this many moons ago. As others
have suggested, try Lady Brighid's translation of Nola. It was one of the
very first books in Spain, and a best seller for 100 years.

The original was published in Catalan (1520) as the "Libre del coch." It
draws on much of the material I'm working on, which is earlier Catalan,
ranging from early 14th to mid-15th c. So, in Nola, you get much of the 15th
century food concepts. Nola was translated into Castillian, starting in
1525, by the Lord Mayor of Logroño, with other editions and reprints
published through 1577. Thereafter, other books pulled from those Castillian
editions. So, Nola spans most of the time period you want to cover, with
little variation. The biggest difference will be that the 1525 and 1529
Castillian editions added some non-Catalan Spanish recipes, and completely
changed some ingredients for other dishes, transforming them into inland
Spanish versions.

What this cookbook won't do for you, is tell you what the seafarers (many of
the crew being Catalan, BTW, on a voyage from Spain) were carrying in their
food lockers for the middle and end of the trip. Here are some ideas from
the ingredients of the cookbooks:

Salt cod and salt pork are much more common than beef in the early half of
your period, in this cuisine. The legumes were chickpeas, favas, and
lentils. The grains were barley, oats, rice, and wheat. The nuts were
almonds, chestnuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts, pistachios, and walnuts. The
fruits that would keep: dates, figs, and raisins. The vegetables that would
keep, somewhat: cabbage, carrots, garlic, onions, and parsnips. The major
fats: olive oil, rendered lard, bacon grease. They might have kept some live
fowl for a meal or two: chicken, dove, duck, goose. They might have kept a
few rabbits. They ate just about anything they could catch in the sea.
Anchovies were very common, as were mullets, fresh or preserved. My early
Catalan sources identify over 50 fish. These books do not discuss bread or
biscuits.

Hope this helps,
Thomas Longshanks