[Sca-cooks] Need Reference info

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 25 14:21:04 PDT 2001

Actually, it sounds not unlike the idea I used for a Coronation feast many
years ago...before most of us had easy/ready access to lots of period sources.
Our Crown Prince had a Viking personna, and wanted a Viking feast.  My research
turned up roast meat (FINE with HRH) and lutefish (Ugh! said HRH).  So.....I
came up with a feast of the foods that his Viking ancestors would have
encountered on their travels...I used things from Scotland, England, France,
Germany, Italy(Rome) and, for dessert, the Middle East.  Now, as this was a
long time ago, most of the recipes were "periodoid" rather than period, and
very few were documentable except in their ingredients (and sometimes the dish
itself).  But it was a huge success and HRH was very happy with my
interpretation of his wishes!  And...wonder of wonders, I managed to get him to
eat liver...something I had been told was impossible.  I served it as an
ingedient in a terrine that I created out of period ingredients.  He loved it!

Kiri