[Sca-cooks] American Iron Chef

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 26 12:13:07 PDT 2001

The Japanese have, over the centuries, become masters at copying everyone around
them.  During China's T'ang Dynasty, the Japanese imported Chinese culture with
great enthusiasm...nothng could beat stuff from China...silks, religion, etc.,
etc.  Then, during their next period, the Japanese went insular and absorbed,
modified and produced their own culture based on much of what they had learned from
China.  The same has happened repeatedly throughout Japanese history, with the
result often exceeding what was copied!  The same is true of Western culture.  The
West was denied access to Japan for many, many years.  When they were finally
allowed entry, the Japanese once again studied this new influx of information, then
adapted it to their own needs.  Once again, they beat us at our own game...their
autombiles, electronics and other industrial products were better and, initially,
cheaper than what was produced here.

However, the West has benefited from studying Japanese culture as well...from the
Impressionist/Expressionist painters (Van Gogh comes to mind...), to architects
(Frank Lloyd Wright for a rather obvious example), to adapting our electroncs and
auto industries and learning the lessons the Japanese manufacturers have to teach.
(Sorry...I had another Japanese import for lunch...ummmmmm....love that sushi!!!)

So, over all, it's been a relationship (Japan/West) that's been beneficial to both
sides...with one major exception, of course...WWII.

Kiri