[Sca-cooks] Cuban pork

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Tue Jun 26 13:01:26 PDT 2001

Vicente replied to my comments on serving Cuban pork to the Trimarian
King at Pennsic (I think):
> IIRC, while Cuban style pork is not documentably period, the ingredients
> are.  The pork is prepared either as a whole hog or sucking pig (lechon or
> cochinillo asado) or as shoulder or fresh ham (pernil).  The meat is studded
> with garlic and marinated in sour orange juice and herbs, then slowly
> roasted over a fire or in the oven.  Where sour orange juice is not
> available, sweet orange juice mixed with lime juice can be used.  This could
> qualify as a nicely perioid dish, especially if you serve it with some
> documentable sauces.

My appologies then. I'm not that familar specifically with this
Cuban pork.  My assumption was that, like other cuisines in the New
World, it was an amalgamation of New World foods and cultures and
Old World foods and cultures.

My only concern from the comments above would be what constituted
appropriate "herbs". If some of these are New World, particularly
those that make this "Cuban" pork, then I still think it deviates
more than I would like to see from medieval foods. But then a coating
of molasses or sugar would do that also, even if they were being
used this way by 1600. (Anyone know?)  It still sounds good. Do
you know what herbs should be used for this cuban pork?

Stefan