[Sca-cooks] European "hot dogs"

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Wed Jun 27 12:03:14 PDT 2001

"Mark.S Harris" schrieb:

> > but
> > they are traditionally had at stalls or in
> > cramped, tiny booths with a few standing tables.
>
> These are small tables which are set high and they don't
> have chair so you stand around them? I think I've seen these
> here, but they certainly aren't popular.

Exactly those. A heavy foot filled with concrete,
a single column and a small round top surface.
Make one helluva noise when you tip them over
accidentally :-)

> > And BTW; the choice isn't really 'forced upon' any
> > of us. Where I work I have the choice of getting,
> > at around the same price and trouble, German
> > sausage (bah!), Danish hot dogs (with relish,
> > ketchup, mustard, pickles and roast onions - very
> > good), hamburger (not bad), pizza, Chinese
> > takeaway, and Doner Kebap, which (NOT hamburger!)
> > is Germany's favorite convenience food.
>
> Why do you like the Danish hot dogs better? Is the meat/sausage
> different? Or is it just the extra additions? Generally here hot
> dogs are a rather poor grade of meat, although there are some made
> with better meat and sometimes you can get sausages instead of
> "hot dogs".

The Danish 'po/lser' (Can't make that
slashed-through o sign) are usually of very good
quality. Generally, in Central Europe we care
about our sausage (though there is an old German
saying claiming that the contents of sausage were
known only to God and the butcher, and the butcher
was vegetarian)

Giano