[Sca-cooks] black radishes

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Jun 28 15:27:28 PDT 2001

At 08:54 PM 6/28/01 +0000,Olwen the Odd said something like:
>I am looking to find black radishes.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Now that
>I am writing this, I wonder if I can get seeds and grow them myself...
>Olwen

You can get Spanish Black Radish seeds at Pinetree Garden Seeds, which is
on the web at www.superseeds.com .

The Black Radish is described as:
One of the oldest of heirloom vegetables, Black Spanish radish has been
cultivated since the 16th century. A winter keeping type, the skin of the
roots is deep, deep, purple, almost black. The flesh is snowy white. Roots
are quite large, many over a pound, 9 inches in length and 3 inches in
diameter. The most common use is boiled, but they are also fine in any
application you have for a Daikon. Flavor is not particularly pungent, but
you do know you are eating a radish.

It's at: http://www.superseeds.com/VegR-S.htm

I grew them last year, and they are truly amazing vegetables. But, what on
earth did they do with them in period? Cook? roast? shred and roast?

Regards,
Maggie MacD.