[Sca-cooks] Cardamon

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 28 20:03:45 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Hail the list,Could someone tell me the differences between white, green and black cardamon? thanks.>>

Not knowing from whence the reference comes, I'll take a stab at it.

Green cardomom may possibly refer to the whole pods wherein lie the cardamom seeds that arer actually the good spice stuff.  The whole pod is a rustic green color, and the pod itself if rather fibrous.  Once the spice is shelled, it is called decorticated.

Black cardamom would then follow to be the decorticated seeds.  they are tiny little jewels, samller than garins, though not so small as nigella.  White cardamom may be the seeds with their hulls/skins removed, like peppercorns.

that is my educated gues of the colors of cardamom you asked about.  anyone knowing more of more certainly, please interject.

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco