[Sca-cooks] oop::: Zankou chicken

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 29 06:28:44 PDT 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Interesting. Last week I bought this little jar of garlic spread because
> it looked interesting. Now looking at it, I notice it has that foreign
> word mentioned here before "aioli". It even says "French Aioli with Lemon"
> and says "Product of France". This is "Maille" brand and boasts "1747".
> However, reading the ingredients list I think someone has taken some
> liberties as it says "Sunflower oil, water, dextrose, white wine vinegar,
> salt, garlic pulp (2%) [Only 2 percent!], milk proteins, lactic acid,
> thickeners: modified corn starch and zanthan gum, egg yolks, lemon juice
> from concentrate (0.75 %), artificial and natural flavors, colors added.
> Looks more like something from a modern industrial plant and not something
> from 1747.
>
> After all this talk, I'm wondering if I'm really going to like it after
> all. If you come up with a recipe for this garlic white sauce, please
> post it.

A basic modern aioli recipe can be found at
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/recipes/aiolisac.html   ; in this form
it is basically mayonnaise flavored with garlic. In a pinch, if you have
a brand of mayo you like (I've been very pleasantly surprised by the
America's Choice brand that seems to be the default brand for many
supermarkets that don't have their own label to compete with Hellman's,
etc.; it contains egg yolks, a mixture of oils, IRC, lemon juice, and
seasonings, and not a lot else), you can cheat for a first attempt and
mush up garlic and whatever commercial mayo you prefer in a food
processor. How can it be worse than what you've described ;  )  ?

And we actually had one or two skordalia recipes posted in this thread;
they're not that hard to make. The only tricks are to be sure the bread
(if you use it, and not a potato-ey version) is fully soaked and
softened -- you should be able to kind of pass your finger through the
mass and it'll separate into fluffy curd-like entities-- and be sure not
to add too much oil at once, or to add any more before all the
previously added oil has been incorporated.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com