[Sca-cooks] Seeking Opinions

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 30 06:43:56 PDT 2001

One person's opinion:

While Sass's books are OK, I'd say skip her books on medieval cuisine,
unless you just want them and can find them cheap. If you are interested in
the original texts, you have better, more complete sources available, now,
than were available in the early 1970's, when Sass was almost all there was.
If you are interested in the redactions, then you need to be aware that
Sass's redactions in "King's Taste" and "Queen's Taste" are, more often than
not, rather dated and suspect. Simply put: we know more now, than we knew
then. There are better working recipes out there, especially for the
late-period food. I haven't looked at her Christmas feasts, but my
experience with her other work causes me to distrust her recipes. I guess it
all depends on your interests.

For $50+ you can get any of a number of excellent books on medieval and
renaissance cuisine, and I'm sure folks here have lots of suggestions.

Thomas Longshanks