[Sca-cooks] Seeking Opinions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Jun 30 16:59:01 PDT 2001

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> _Chicken Fronto (baked chicken with grape sauce)

FWIW, not so much to snipe at any particular interpretation as to defend
this dish's original form in the face of extreme, multiple attack by
revisionists, this is the dish of chicken which, IIRC, is briefly
browned in oil, then has other stuff added to the oil, primarily
liquamen and various herbs and spices, braised, drained and then sauced
with one of the wine reductions/preparations, I forget which one. This
poor unoffensive braised dish has been turned into baked chicken with
grape sauce by Sass, Chicken Fer Crissakes SCAmcNuggets with
Sweet-and-Sour Grape Sauce, and Heaven only knows what else.

I don't mean to rant here, but I don't understand why this particular
dish has had to become all foods to all people. If it was so necessary
to change it so radically, why is it such a popular victim of this kind
of treatment? It's as if people really really love this dish but can't
simply cook it the way the recipe calls for, because then they wouldn't
like it, but they really really love it...

Now, I know there are a lot of SCAdians who simply have _got_ to be able
to prove to themselves that fried chicken as it is now known is common
throughout history and around the world.

Is there some mysterious social force at work here that I cannot
comprehend?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy