[Sca-cooks] Seeking Opinions

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 30 20:48:08 PDT 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
<<<snip .....
And yes, I suppose many others have, too, but this was a good example of a confusing phenomenon.

You're a clear-thinking man. Any ideas to share on this?  >>>

My experience in cases where recipes appear to be bastardized is the enthusiasm to find that One True Reference <tm> for a modern favorite.  As for why that one recipe is the magnet for abuse, I only conjecture that it ws shifted once in the long ago to batter fried chicken dipped into sauce, which may or may not have been discussed and diffused, but it now had PRECEDENT.  Ain't nothing so dangerous or motivating as a good precedent.  A wise man once told me, "if one person says something, it's rumor; when a second person says it, it becomes Truth."

It's almost like Vehling or Fabulous Feasts.  Not what we today would call clear thinking scholarly works, but it is often what people have early, inexpensive access to.  Round our parts, suggesting that "Savoury Toasted Cheese" be served as anything other than wrapped around green beans could be considered herecy, or at the very least spawn mass cunfusion.  Good dish, but not exactly what was originally written.  Someone 'round Meridies has what he claims is iron clad documentation for Baked Potatoes, and served them at feast . . . I don't ask and don't argue.

Some well intended cook laid the curse of origin on this poor unssuspecting dish, and then more just seem to happen upon it.  Of course, now I'm curious enough to go hunt the original down to find out what it should be . . . chicken and grapes sounds like a refreshing summer repast.

pacem et bonum,
niccolo difrancesco

from sopmone's sig file:
"Laws are sand, customs are rock.  Laws can be evaded and punishment escaped, but an openly transgressed custom brings sure punishment."
                 Mark Twain