SC - Re: non Christians recieving the host

Barbara Sall socha at epix.net
Tue Mar 6 19:07:36 PST 2001

I have been asked to precook Losenges Fryes and Potage of Beans Boiled and
I have a few questions before I immerse myself in the cooking.

Losenges Fryes

Take flour, water, saffron, sugar and salt, and make a fine paste thereof,
and fair thin cakes; and cut them like losenges and fry them in fine oil,
and serve them forth hot in a dish in lenten time.

(redaction)

2 cups flour
1 / 2 cups water
a pinch of saffron
1 / 2 cup sugar
1 / 2 teaspoon salt
oil for frying

Boil saffron in water to extract color and flavor, put in a bowl and mix in
sugar and salt, add flour and mix lightly until moistened.  Heat oil in a
frying pan.  Roll out dough to about 1 / 2 inch thick.  Cut into small
diamonds, fry a few at a time since they cook very quickly.

Is this appropriate for precook or should really be done at the event.  If
it is precooked, how would we go about reheating them?  (I am thinking that
they could be reheated on a baking sheet in the oven - but I don't know
what the minimum time required would be.)

As well, what oil would people suggest I use to fry these?  (I would like
to keep it as period as possible, so I am guessing not peanut *smile*.)

Potage of Beans Boiled

For to make a potage fene boiles, tak wite benes & se+ hem in water, & bray
+e benys in a mortar al to noght; & lat +em se+e in almond mylk & do +erin
wyn & hony.  & se+ reysouns in wyn & do +erto & after dresse yt forth.

(redaction)
1 cup fava beans
2 cups water
1 cup almond milk from: 1 cup = 5 oz almonds, 1 1 / 2 cups water
1/8 cup wine
1  1 / 2 tablespoon honey
1 / 4 cup more wine
(1 / 2 tsp salt)
1 / 4 cup = 1 1 / 2 oz raisins

Soak beans overnight in 2 cups water, drain.  Boil them for 40 minutes in 2
cups water.  Drain them, mush them in a mortar.  Make almond milk and set
to boil.  Throw beans into boiling almond milk, add wine and honey, simmmer
1 hour.  Simmer the raisins in wine for about ten minutes, add them to the
pottage a few minutes before it finishes cooking.

My notes and questions:

Does this recipe really require fava beans?  I find myself doubtful because
the original calls for "wite benes" and, if fava beans are indeed broad
beans, they are green not white.

What sort of wine should I use - it is going to be cheap cask wine, but
should it be white or red?  My feeling is that it is white, but I could be
wrong.

I am planning on getting the pottage to the adding raisin stage and then
leaving it for the Steward to combine them and reheat the dish at the event
before serving.  Is there a problem with that?

Gwynydd