SC - Fw: [TY] Looking for simple period bread recipie

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Mar 6 22:43:02 PST 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Anahita

> So i think the white bean is this black-eyed pea relative i've seen
> called a cream pea or lady cream pea. I know they're popular in the
> Southern United States, which won't help you since you're in the Land
> of Oz. I haven't hit my local Indian markets, but suspect they might
> have them or something similar there - so that's where i suggest you
> look - Indian and Pakistani markets. It looks like a black eyed pea
> in shape, but is a creamy off-white in color.

We are a bit short of Indian or Pakistani markets here in Tassie.  I wonder
if haricot beans, while not being the right bean and also not being period,
might not be a good choice?  Or lima beans?

> Given that the other ingredients are white or light in color, i'd
> suggest white wine, but i don't really know what would be perfectly
> historically accurate.

Yes, this was my feeling.  Now the question is dry or sweet?  A mozelle or
a reisling?

> A question for listees: Did they have green grape raisins back then
> or just red/purple grape raisins? Cuz if they had 'em, that might be
> an interesting ingredient, to keep the dish all pale colored...

I wondered if the raisins were meant to provide contrast.  It seemed
logical to me.  But the idea of pale fruit is quite enticing.

Gwynydd