SC - losenges fryes/potage of beans boiled

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Tue Mar 6 23:53:15 PST 2001

Anahita gave a description of a Jewish Passover/Pesach Seder meal.

Thanks, Anahita.

> There are certain required foods
> * A plate with three pieces of motzah
> * A plate with these 6 things on it: a roasted/boiled whole egg; a
> roasted lamb shank bone or chicken neck or bone (vegetarians
> substitute some sort of long vegetable for this); a raw horseradish
> root or leaf of some bitter green vegetable; sprigs of parsely or
> spring onion/scallion; charoseth - a mixture of dried and/or fresh
> fruit, nuts, wine, and spices (there are MANY regional and cultural
> variations); and chopped or prepared horseradish
> * A cup for each person, some Kosher wine, and a cup for Elijah
> * Two unlit candles and matches (or lighter)
> * A bowl or small bowls of salt water or vinegar water
> * A hand washing set - a bowl of water and a hand towel at its
> simplest - as the hand washing is done at the table
> * Some sort of table decoration

What first struck me when I saw these lists of specific foods was
how much it reminded me of Adamantius' descriptions of the Chinese
New Years Feast/Celebrations that he has described here. But perhaps
there is a lot of simularity between many symbolic/traditional meals.

> I hope i haven't offended anyone by posting this. I've tried to leave
> out most of the religious content. You can see why some folks have
> remarked how it would be difficult to have a Passover dinner with out
> the religious ritual part, but i think it could be done. Less
> blessing, more fressing.

Not me. I find it interesting and yes, amusing. This is not meant to
be rude, but I often find many religious traditions, particularly the
nit-picking on what seem to inconsequental details, to be
incomprehensible, and just say "well, it's tradition". How anyone
can kill over these things, also seems difficult. It is an example
of how difficult it is to get into a persona. I tend to be a very
"logical" person, so maybe I'm out on the extreme end of this, though.

> OB Medieval: there are several extant illuminated Medieval Haggadahs.

When and where were these done? Were these done by Jews or non-Jews?
I think this could shed some light on relations between the two groups.
Assuming these were not satires, and were done by non-Jews, perhaps
it might point to relations being better than the Inquistion and
similar things would indicate.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net