SC - De Nola Arrives

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 21 13:01:16 PST 2001

> I believe someone on the list commented that the earliest forks known in
> England are from the excavations of Danish York, however nothing is known
> about how they were used.
> For a short, but interesting piece on forks quoting Coryate, try:
> http://www.byu.edu/ipt/projects/middleages/LifeTimes/TableFork.html

Interestingly, of the English examples given in this text, two are clearly identified as
serving forks (for green ginger and sucketts) and the others are part of cases of knives,
which would lead one to assume that they are carving-forks. The reference to eating forks
is, again, Coryat. It's frustrating that this article has been detached from its list of
references. One thinks that more references to forks as eating utensils must appear in
the sources.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net
"At all events (a useful phrase, when the evidence is weak)..."
   -- Christopher Thacker, _The History of Gardens_