SC - Re: Bidding for Feast

Ann sheltons at conterra.com
Sun Mar 25 21:25:16 PST 2001

Just passing this along.  I believe it to be late period.
Phillipa

 << As Pesach approaches I find it may interest this group to offer
 discuss various  Spanish-Portuguese minhagim related to the
 festival., And as a starter I am  offering the recipe for haroset as
 handed down in my family. My family  immigrated to Amsterdam from
 Portugal via Antwerp in the 17th century and  from Amsterdam to
 America in the first half of the 19th century.  This  recipe as far
 as I can tell, is unique among the recipes for haroset that I  have
 seen but ...with all modesty, is the best haroset I have ever tasted.

  1 lb. of dates
  6 oz. of almonds - already ground very very fine - almost to a powder
  3 tb. cherry jam
  a glass of fresh orange juice with pulp
  3 tbs. of sweet grape wine, cointreau or sherry

  soak the dates in fresh orange juice to soften
  place the  dates with the juice into a blender
  remove the dates, mix with the wine and cherry jam

  sprinkle the almond powder over the haroset before serving.

  As explained to me by my grandparents over 50 years ago, the concept
 is to  make the haroset as the Torah quote - as black as pitch or
 morter but sweet  as written in Shir Ha Shirim - shachora ani
 v'na'va -I am black and beautiful. We always served the "Portuguese
 haroset" on a small silver  filigree plate which further enhanced the
 hiddur mitzvah - making the mitzvah of observing pesach even more
 beautiful.