SC - Quince Paste

tamsinlewis tamsinlewis at netscapeonline.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 23:48:08 PST 2001

Here's a recipe from 'A Closet for Ladies' 1636

To make printed Quodiniacks of Quinces, a ruby colour

Take ij pound of Quinces pared and cut in small peeces and put them into a
Posnet with iij pints of faire water, and so let them boyle till they be tender:
then put into them a pound of sugar, and let it boyle till the fruit fall to the
bottome of the pan: let the liquor run thorow a strainer into a Bason, and put
it into a faire Posnet, and let it boyle till it come to his colour and
thicknesse: then print it with your moulds: You shall know when it is ready to
print, by rolling a  little upon the back of a Spoone: and if you see it wil
stand, and not run downe, print it.  In like sort you may make your Quodiniack
of Pippins; your pippins will hold all the yeere.