SC - Re: Modern Chefs (OOP)

HICKS, MELISSA HICKS_M at casa.gov.au
Wed Mar 28 16:26:43 PST 2001

Drake,

> Umm, are you talking about the Seafood Chef, Rick Stein?
> He's very popular in Lochac (Australia) and my and I are

Your what dear?  I hope the term was going be "dearest darling" <g>

> hoping to attend a
> light supper and lecture he is giving in July.  His TV shows
> (more than 1
> season worth) is currently showing on the ABC on Wednesday nights.
>
> Why is it that here in OZ I watch a heap of cooking shows
> with famous chefs
> (Gordon Ramsay, Rick Stein, Delia Smith, Nick Nairn, Jamie
> Oliver, Jennifer
> Patterson & Clarissa ???) and they are all bloody English.
> Are there any
> American cooks doing good things / writing books / doing shows?

I think you will find it is more likely that ABC (Aust Broadcasting Corp -
government funded television station) imports many more British programs
than American ones....  by quite a large amount across the entire spectrum
of programming.

> While I'm on it, what celebrity chefs are your heroes and why?
> Delia Smith   - Total Babe. Great bod, well spoken, great
> cook. Nuff said.

The things you learn about your husband on an open newsgroup ...

> Nick Nairn    - Dig the accent, great fresh scottish cooking.

And he is a klutz in the kitchen - remember the chilli oil incident ...

> Jamie Oliver  - Left me with "Pukka" as a permanent part of

Yup - the "naked Chef" is popular amongst my friends because it shows that
food can be simple but still edible.  i.e. you don't need to spend 4 hours
in the kitchen to produce a meal you would be happy to serve at a dinner
party.

Mel.

This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain information
that is confidential and intended only for the use of the addressee named
above.  It may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient do
not read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy or take any action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error please notify
the sender immediately and delete this message.  Before opening any
attachments, check them for viruses or defects.