SC - Help with Cooking period Italian food.

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 29 21:40:53 PST 2001

Elisabetta asked:
> I am fairly new to the list and the SCA in general.

Welcome to this SCA-Cooks list and to the SCA!

> My developing persona
> is 14th century Italian (northern) and I would like to know if there are any
> books, manuscripts, websites that I might find some help with cooking for
> this period and location.

Here are the files on this in the Florilegium that I think might apply.
In the FOOD-BOOKS section:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (37K)  4/20/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
cb-rv-Platina-msg (21K)  2/21/01    Reviews of cookbooks having Platina recipes.
p-Italy-food-bib   (9K) 12/ 1/99    Bibliographies on period Italian food.
Platina-bib        (7K) 11/ 7/00    A bibliography on Bartolomeo Platina
by
                                       Thomas Gloning.

In the FOOD-BY-REGION section:
fd-Italy-msg      (16K)  9/29/98    Period Italian food. Cookbooks.

In the FOOD section:
pasta-msg         (82K)  3/20/01    Period pasta. Period referances. Recipes.
pasta-stufed-msg  (33K)  3/20/01    Period stuffed pasta dishes. Ravioli.

In the FOOD-BREADS section:
pizza-msg         (15K) 12/ 3/98    Period pizza and similar items.

In the CULTURES section:
Italy-msg         (35K)  7/13/98    Italian culture, families. Medieval P.o.I.

You might also find the NEWCOMERS and the PERSONA section to be of interest.

> I have been lurking for about a month now and I
> just love reading all the ideas.  I have followed many of the links posted
> and they are just fascinating!  I am invited to a feast at the Potrero war
> in May and was requested to bring baklava - is baklava period does anyone
> know?  Or is there something similar to baklava that *is* period?

In it's current form, I think the answer is no. However I would check these
files:
In the FOOD-SWEETS section:
desserts-msg     (112K)  1/12/01    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.

In the FOOD section:
pastries-msg     (105K)  4/ 3/00    Medieval pastries. Recipes.

> Thanks so much for your help - you are all so knowledgable and I am so
> envious of your intellegence in these things!  I searched for hours trying
> to find the simplest things and after joining the list, learned more in the
> first day than I did in the months of searching I'd done!

I came into this group knowing very little about period cooking and even
less about modern cooking and have learned quite a lot in the almost
four
years the list has been in existance.

I hope this helps.
- --