SC - Local meat prices - OOP

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:35:10 PST 2001

>Question for the list:  If the pig roaster weights 32#, how much usable
>meat is
>there?  They leave the skin on and head, etc. I thought this would be a
>cool
>high table dish, with someone trained to carve, carving & serving at table.
>
>Whaddaya think?
>
>Liadan

We did two whole pigs for a hunt themed event a couple of years ago.  We
took our "pig roaster" in the back of someones truck and I picked up the two
pigs and put them on ice in my car top carrier.
For the "presentation" we put eyes of radishes, an apple in the mouth and an
arrow through its head.  We placed it on a foil covered sheild we borrowed
from one of the fighters garnished with greens and had it marched in through
the hall.  Servers followed with platters of carved meat from the other pig.
  The 'trophy' was made in great spectacle of presentation and laid on a
small table set in front of the head table.  It was great fun!
Olwen