[Sca-cooks] More on cubebs.

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Thu May 3 14:59:39 PDT 2001

> From: Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com>
>
> In the previous site, the author advises that "true
> cubebs" can be differentiated from "false cubebs" by
> an examination of color.  True cubebs are a reddish
> brown, while false cubebs are more gray...
>
> However, in this site the author indicates cubebs are
> grayish in color.... hmmnn..

	Interesting.  I recently came upon a possible
cubeb confusion myself, doing some research.  Most
modern sources say that "cubeb pepper" and "tailed
pepper" are the same thing; however Gerard (1633 ed.)
clearly differentiates between the two.  He has an
entry on tailed pepper, which he describes as being
similar to, but not the same as, cubebs.  However,
he doesn't seem to have an entry on cubebs (though
I have found a few glitches in his index before, and
that's a biiiiig book to page through looking for one
entry -- I might be wrong).
	FWIW, the "cubebs" I have on hand (ordered
from Seattle Spice Merchants, good company) are
definitely a dark reddish brown.  They have an excellent
spicy flavor that works well in marinades for meats.
Whatever they are, I like 'em!  :)
	For those interested, Seattle Spice Merchants
can be found at:

	http://www.worldspice.com

	Good prices, rare stuff, fast service (in my
experience, but then I live in the NW), and very
trusting -- order the spice via email, they send it
to you with an invoice, and then you send them a check.
I didn't know anyone still did business that way! :)

		-- Ruth Freebourne